Helping Someone With Alzheimer’s
Our Home-care Assistants are always looking for ways to alleviate stress for their clients living with Alzheimer’s and dementia, here are a few tips they shared.
- Try not to change the environment unless it is unsafe
- Keep routines and schedules consistent
- Respond to feelings, acknowledge their concern
- Are they wearing their glasses/hearing aids?
- Is the lighting good?
- Offer reassurance
- Is the environment quiet & calm or noisy and busy, sometimes simply turning off the tv changes the mood?
- Poor nutrition and dehydration can play havoc on their wellbeing, remember to offer snacks and fluids regularly
- Always use gentle body language and a kind voice
- Don’t rush, take your time